Fire Marshal duties can be one of the most important contributions to fire safety in your workplace.
Fire Marshall main duties are intended to prevent fires.
Of course they have an important role if a fire occurs; evacuating the building and tackling small fires if a fire occurs, but it’s the day-to-day duties that can bring the most benefit.
Fire Marshalls are responsible and should regularly check all fire prevention and fire fighting equipment, such as;
- Fire exits, including fire doors. Are they clear and usable.
- Fire alarms and evacuation drills, are they checked regularly.
- Fire extinguishers and other fire fighting equipment, is it in the correct position, serviced, and usable.
- General housekeeping, is waste cleaned up and disposed of. Remember the fire triangle.
- Are people smoking in the designated areas only.
- And more; depending of the size and complexity of the workplace.
A Fire Marshall checklist is a good starting point.